Blind River to Batman's Campground in Sheguiandah, ON

I had a good day! No, I didn't have more energy and I didn't ride any faster, I just rode comfortably. William started with me but shortly went on ahead. I was plenty alright with this and he was happy to go his own pace. At the first rest stop I was told me friend Irena was ahead. I caught up with her after a few kilometres and rode with her till about 71km. At 71km was my rest stop in Massey, ON where Sea to Sea got off highway 17 TransCanada and Irena was to continue on highway 17 towards Sudbury. We parted and wished each other well.
By this time Jim Beezhold, an 81 year old rider and usually the last rider, had caught up. He joined me at the rest stop and then left ahead of me. When I did catch up with him we jammed to some classic tunes on my Bluetooth speaker till near the next rest stop at 99km. We were both ready for a stop and I got a pleasant surprise. At the 71km rest stop Nancy, the wife of another rider named Jim, was going to the store and asked if Jim Beezhold or I needed anything. I first said, "no," but then replied, "sugar!" I gave a few candy ideas. At the 99km rest stop she had a bag full of candy! I thought she'd only get one kind but she decided to bless me with plenty and plenty to share.
From that stop on I rode pretty much alone but for short spurts as people passed me. I kept motivation by looking for McDonald's cafe sticker to fill out a sort of lunch card. On the punchcard you add up 7 stickers and then you can get a free McCafe drink! What a Dutch man I am. I also found a nice stainless steel insulated mug and a nice snake skin design pocket knife.
My day wrapped up not until around 4:40pm but I was in great spirits. I spent the last 8km riding with Stuart, talking as if I had a thick southern accent. It was a long day but a well enjoyed day. I appreciate riding fast with George Vanderkuur (getting early into camp) and I appreciate riding slow with Jim Beezhold (and getting in just before dinner). I've worn bicycle shorts the past two days to save my butt and it's helped. Not in a loner way, but getting into a comfortable place that works for me this week has helped incredibly for both my energy and my attitude.

Time: 8hr 4min
Trip: 162.2km
Avg: 20.0km/hr
Max: 56.2km/hr





Whitefish Falls, Ontario

Onto the Manitoulin Island!


Warm welcome to camp! Beautiful washroom facilities. I got an orange juice concentrate and let it warm into a smoothie texture as my evening dessert :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amqui, QC to Sugarloaf Provincial Park in Atholville, NB

Bathurst, NB to Daigle Daigle Park Campground in Saint-Louis, NB