Winnipeg, MB to Vassar Community Centre in Vassar, MB

The day of wind. I usually ride a little slower than William out of choice so he let me go ahead and leave before him. I let out easy and relaxed. At about 6km I latched onto a pelaton (like if riders) to take advantage of draft due to the headwind. I kept on with that group and semi accidentally went with them to the sign for the centre of Canada. From there we got to 35km before the group met up with some relatives. I stopped with them but was anxious to move on.
George, an experienced rider, and Albert, a strong rider, passed by. I saw them slightly in advance and decided to catch up with them. I knew I would be working hard but I stayed behind them rather than taking a turn at the front. I was repremanded at the next stop and took my turn from there on out. George and Albert pushed me hard as we took 1.5km to 3km turns pulling (being the front of the pelaton). It was just us three but the changes were often enough. I thought about sticking back for William and Caleb but I figured it'd be a poor decision to fall behind such good riders like George and Albert.
Riding with them I got into camp at about 1:45pm despite being such a long day where the last rider arrived around 6pm. I was the first to swim, second to shower, and helped set up different parts of camp. I got some rest time in Stuart's hammock and Ed Shultz, a man who enjoys self supported tiring and is a Sea to Sea rider, offered to get me a soda. He came back with a Dad's rootbeer in a glass bottle from a convenience store in Vassar so out of stock that it was described as "looted."
A supper of chicken, potatoes and gravy, and beans was well eaten by the tired Sea to Sea group. Because of a support couple, Andy and Jenny, we were blessed with ice cream in celebration of their anniversary and becoming grandparents! I cut up bananas as a topping both for their luxury and their need to be used as they were getting browned.

Time: 6hr 3min
Trip: 161km
Avg: 26.0km/hr
Max: 37.2km/hr

Riel Power Converter on the Southeast side of Winnipeg

Drafting George on the left and Albert on the right. George was a school teacher and Albert owns a cucumber farm. Both are from Canada. 

George is a tall man riding a Maroni bicycle. It's an old steel frame repainted but the maker of the bicycle himself who lives in Europe. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amqui, QC to Sugarloaf Provincial Park in Atholville, NB

Bathurst, NB to Daigle Daigle Park Campground in Saint-Louis, NB

Sault Ste Marie, MI to the Marina of Blind River, Ontario