Grand Rapids, MN to Carlton High School in Carlton, MN

What a riot last night! We happened to catch the stock car races of Grand Rapids on a Thursday night. A few small groups of Sea to Sea folks made it to the races where we hurt our ears and got covered in dust. By the end of the night the track was slick with burned off rubber and wet from "bones" the water truck guy. He put water in the track to both keep the dust down and slick it up!
Today was a day of mid length but easy pace. William gave me the Bluetooth speaker to use for the day. He, Caleb, and Frank all got ahead of me so I stuck my own pace. Starting from the back of the pack I slowly made my way forward as I made me rest stops very brief. It was neat to ride with different people all day. Most of the landscape was lower marshy lands with pines and tall grass.
This evening Caleb and I got out to skate into town. I got to try out my new skate wheels which are sufficiently better than my old wheels even! In town is a local festival of sorts. It feels like walking into a large family reunion because us bikers feel out of place in a small town where so many people know each other. The town has roughly a thousand citizens.
Tomorrow is a big day in both distance and celebration. Tomorrow we ride across the half was point of distance for our trip from Vancouver to Halifax. We will be attempting to have all riders meet at about 120km where the half way point is to have a special celebration and group photo.

Time: 5hr 29min
Trip: 130.6km
Avg: 23.0km/hr
Max: 45.6km/hr


The Mississippi is so much smaller in northern Minnesota that it took be by surprise. 


Hard times for D's place. Plenty of old shops and cars around these part of Minnesota.

A lone tree in what used to be a small farming field.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amqui, QC to Sugarloaf Provincial Park in Atholville, NB

Bathurst, NB to Daigle Daigle Park Campground in Saint-Louis, NB