Tobermory, ON to Roebuck Family Campground in Meaford, ON


Today granted highs and lows. After using the washrooms I discovered my normal crew to have already headed out. They assumed I was ahead because my bike was gone (with me to the washroom). I biked casually alone, stopping at two mountain bike parks but only riding in one. The joy of going into the park seemed to restore my enthusiasm for bicycling on this trip. I held a few kilometeres faster yet this only lasted for about 15kilometres.
I knew a lunch stop was coming up at 115km so I restrained from eating much at rest stops. At about 105km the bonking effect (similar to "hitting the wall," a lack of energy) hit me. I snacked on my bread and butter to slug myself into lunch. Lunch provided a great relaxation time. I can't recall the name but it was a wonderful array of food by a CRC church. I was the 3rd from last rider and they still had plenty of all kinds of sandwiches.
From lunch there was roughly 27km to go. I didn't realize the hills to come as we needed to get out of the bay valley. After three sets of steep grades I made my way back into the hill top. With 10km to go I was ready to get the ride over with so I picked up pace significantly, likely holding about 36km/hr with the wind nicely at my back.
I ate a good dinner of a burrito without a shell. Ice cream and many pies were for dessert which I decided not to resist.

Trip: 142km ish
Time: 7:20am to 3:45pm




Beautiful waterside views with more to come tomorrow!


Bruce Peninsula Mountain Bike Adventure Park. As the bottom reads, "one of the toughest places to ride." I took a beating on just the yellow trail because of all the roots and rocks. Even on a mountain bike I would have had to be very technical about wheel placement and work out from the chatter, a road bike stood no chance for having genuine fun. 


A small, pleasant stop just before a hill. This home had no one outside to thank but there was water and cookies. Only the rare few bikers stopped due to its unexpected location. 

Final view of the Georgian Bay before camp. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amqui, QC to Sugarloaf Provincial Park in Atholville, NB

Bathurst, NB to Daigle Daigle Park Campground in Saint-Louis, NB